Monday, January 14, 2008

Drunken reflections.

Holy hell. I found a website made by crazies like myself, devoted to the Russian North; specifically, to Karelia.

I'm in Heaven. I'm keeping all my fingers crossed that they have audio recordings of old Karelian spells. I will not quit this site until I have read it in its entirety.

I admit it; I'm... odd. This isn't entirely an idle pursuit; I need Karelian materials for my book - one of my protagonists is Karelian. But even if I didn't need it... God, I love all this. I love Finnish. I love all things Finny. Karelian counts. It's proto-Finnish, with some sprinkled-in Russian.

It's really very much like addiction. Speak Finnish at me and watch me perk up. Sing Finnish at me, and I'm defeated, helpless, enraptured. I know what caused it - this bloody thing - but I don't know why it persists. Others have heard it and gotten over it; I remain completely enthralled.

I want to learn Finnish. I want to speak it. I want to howl in it. No wonder Tolkien modeled high ELvish on it. It's fucking divine. It's like every sound of the northern forest arrayed into words.

If you've never heard Finnish singing, find a recording and give it a shot. It's otherworldly.

No comments: